Richard wrote:

> I'd put the number for cars (ie 70mph for a dual carriageway), and
> the source if it's not the number that's on the sign.

This is similar to what I've done. For areas where a national speed
limit applies I have used
        maxspeed= (maximum speed for cars, which is the maximum
maximum I believe, if you see what I mean)
I was also tagging
        maxspeed:type=national
or
        maxspeed:type=national_dual_carriageway
(no others apply locally). I added these mainly for my use in case
the government ever change the maximum speed for cars on such roads,
as has been rumoured on occasion in the press, so that I can use
XAPI or JOSM or similar to update the maxspeed values more easily).

Then chriscf splattered a load of source:maxspeed tags across the
roads, so I added those too to other national speed limit ways I
tagged (to save him doing it) - after reading the wiki it seems to
be a fairly well used tag in some other countries, though chriscf
made up the UK values he used; I suggested he add them to the wiki
but apparently past experiences means he doesn't want to touch the
wiki "until there's a *major* shift in mindset there". Again he
distinguishes between single carriageway and dual carriageway with
the values he chose.

Ed