Hi

The council concerned was Cheshire County Council - which is now two Councils as it was split under Local Government Reorganisation into Cheshire East and Cheshire West & Chester who have not revoked the earlier position. But I would want to be careful not to overstate what they are saying.

They are saying it is OK to use the public rights of way information shown on the "definitive map" (and described in the corresponding "definitive statements") as this is seen as data which the public can use as of right. They are not saying that we can "use" the definitive map per se as (whether or not it meets the description of a "derived work") it is a composite of the underlying OS mapping and the lines that are drawn on it showing the public rights of way based on the original surveys and research by the then Local Authority - physically drawn originally and now as a separate GIS layer in the current definitive map copies. The ONLY data that I use is the numbering of the rights of way (which is used as an identifier e.g. if a member of the public wants to talk to them about a way). This information is also held by them and made publicly available as an Excel spreadsheet (no map). To be extra careful I ONLY map in OSM ways which I have physically walked in person and for which I have personally recorded a GPS trace - but I do add the descriptor from the information that the Council says I may use. For this reason, the line of a way that I might draw on OSM might differ from the line on the OS map (as I always walk the definitive line if it is physically possible as well as walking the line shown on the OS map). IMHO with these permissions, caveats and provisos I can use the identifiers (path status and number) from Council sources. The absolute 'must' for me is that I have personally "walked the line" and recorded my own GPS trace (from my GPS receiver) and annotations (from my digital voice recorder).

I would be careful with FOI for the reasons stated by Tim and - in practical terms - because an FOI costs the Council a great deal of money (and they have none) and would likely harm otherwise excellent relations.

Cheshire West has also just completed a very detailed on-the-ground survey of the PRoW network in their area using (a lot of) public money to pay a contractor to use top-of-the-range GPS and photography of every stile, gate, details of path surface, level of disabled access etc. Unfortunately they are still trying to find out how to use the software output properly in GIS (or elsewhere) (!!) and also how to redact from the data confidential information such as the names and addresses of landowners and tenants. We are making slow progress on these technical issues but if they are resolved at the technical level I intend then to tackle with them the issue of whether this (much more detailed) data can be made available for OSM purposes (don't hold your breath - the wheels move VERY slowly) as it would appear to be uncontaminated by the dreaded OS!

As for OS out-of-copyright 7th Series in this area there are many very significant differences from the present day status of ways as rights of way so - even if the paths still exist where shown on the 7th srs mapping I would personally not dare to assume anything about status as rights of way as based on the mapping. Indeed even the most current OS digital mapping has many errors despite the work the Council (and I and my colleagues!) do to notify OS of changes to the PRoW network - and errors persist for 10 years or more before the OS catch up.

Hope that the above is clear and uncontroversial - but knowing OSM I doubt the latter (smiles!).

Mike