On 28 June 2011 15:34, Ed Loach <e...@loach.me.uk> wrote:
>> All this from a quick look at my village. We cannot rely on this
> data
>> without a survey.
>
> Near here I zoomed in on the ways that are in VMD and not OSM. We
> have footways along the seafront where the black lines are (not
> worked out what type that is in VMD - perhaps I need to look at the
> VMD layer for a colour code). There is also a black line in the
> middle of the area which I'm sure isn't a way. We have a footpath
> following part of it, so perhaps a farm tack. I'll need to resurvey
> to be sure though.
>
> It isn't just the roads layer which is a bit dubious. I was looking
> at one of the other layers (I forget which now) which marks nodes
> for points of interest (perhaps churches, schools and leisure
> centres IIRC). I thought this might be interesting to compare VMD
> with OSM but picking a few nodes at random in whichever package I
> opened the VMD layer in (QGIS perhaps) I stumbled across a "leisure
> centre" which is in reality a garden centre called "Outdoor
> Leisure".
>
> So yes, I'd agree, while the OS data can be useful in seeing what
> needs surveying, I'd be a bit worried about trusting it without one
> (though in combination with Bing imagery some of the obvious
> discrepancies can be ignored), though you do seem to have
> encountered more issues with it than I have, so perhaps quality
> varies from area to area.
>
> I'll confess when OS Locator first became available I tagged a few
> road names using that and Streetview but have tried to visit them
> all since to confirm they are correct. It's a bit like anything
> tagged source=NPE; I'm still trying to track all those items down
> and either survey them where they are on publically accessible land
> or the best I can from Bing if not (one highway=road was a farm
> track with a gate at the road end I couldn't get past, and only
> recently did I get around to updating the way from Bing).

I think it will be worth looking at the data and the views quite
closely over the next couple of days. I have found a few small errors
in our interpretation in the past hour. We were missing OS
pedestrianised streets for one view. One thing I do find curious is
that service roads that are missing on VMD appear on OS Streetview.
For example here:
http://www.itoworld.com/product/data/ito_map/main?view=136&lat=51.88970170371981&lon=0.932458821175924&zoom=16

So again we are finding inconsistencies between different OS datasets
(ie OS Streetview/OS Locator and VMD).  As with any other data source
this one isn't perfect and it should be used alongside our local
knowledge and other available sources.

Regards,

Peter