Brief update on map scanning.

You may recall that we were donated a large number of flat maps by Glasgow
Uni. They are mix of 1:25,000 1st and 2nd edition and 7th series 1" ordnance
survey maps. Many are different print editions which is interesting in
itself to see change with time. I have also received from Australia some
additional maps of the south Atlantic and a few other areas to add to the
collection. Not all sheets are out of copyright yet (the second series 1:25k
are generally not OOC for another 10 years or more for instance) the plenty
are.

Scanning such a large quantity (especially if the collection grows) would be
an expensive process (I did a test run with a commercial company last year
and it wasn't a good experience based on both quality and anticipated cost)
and so I've been investigating other options. I had found a rental company
with a suitable A0 drum scanner model for pretty low weekend cost but this
is not now available so I'm discussing with others and specifically a
supplier of scanners who may be able to help, either through short term
rental or use of their facilities for short periods when their demonstration
scanners are not in use. I'm waiting for this company to receive a new
demonstration scanner in the next couple of weeks so that I can compare
final scan quality between a CAD/GIS type scanner and a graphics
alternative. If we can get away with the former the costs will be a lot
lower.

Any testing will also help in deciding if purchase of a second hand (or new
I guess - mega bucks) scanner would be the longer term way to go.

Will keep you posted.

Oh, and thanks to those who have offered support of this already. We will
probably need more once I have a handle on the full picture but it's a great
start.

Do get in touch if you have any comments or input.

Cheers
Andy