Is there a good way to tag flats within a building so that it is clear the
flat numbers (e.g. 1-12) correspond with the building and not with the
street? These are two examples I'm struggling with:

A block of flats, 1-12 Honor Oak Mansions, sits on Underhill Road. The
block doesn't have a number for Underhill Road itself that I can see. If I
add the block to the associatedStreet relation and say
addr:housenumber=1-12, or just go by addr:street instead of a relation, it
looks like that building contains 1-12 Underhill Road. It seems I can only
omit the flat numbers and leave it as Honor Oak Mansions on Underhill Road
to avoid confusion, and perhaps leave the flat numbers in a note or stick
them into the addr:housename.

Or more complicated: a block of flats that itself is numbered 234-236
Peckham Rye, and within that block there are flats 1-18. If I add the
building to the associatedStreet relation with addr:housenumber=234-236,
there's no way to also say how many flats there are. But if I say
addr:housenumber=1-18 it looks like that building contains 1-18 Peckham
Rye! The only hacky solution I can think of is to put the flat numbers in
the addr:housename value so it's there, albeit not easily found by a
machine.

Should I be nesting relations? Has anyone else come across a neat trick to
solve this?

Tom