On Thu, 3 May 2012, Matt Williams wrote:

> On 3 May 2012 14:42, Tom Chance <t...@acrewoods.net> wrote:
> > Is there a good way to tag flats within a building so that it is clear the
> > flat numbers (e.g. 1-12) correspond with the building and not with the
> > street? These are two examples I'm struggling with:
> >
> > A block of flats, 1-12 Honor Oak Mansions, sits on Underhill Road. The block
> > doesn't have a number for Underhill Road itself that I can see. If I add the
> > block to the associatedStreet relation and say addr:housenumber=1-12, or
> > just go by addr:street instead of a relation, it looks like that building
> > contains 1-12 Underhill Road. It seems I can only omit the flat numbers and
> > leave it as Honor Oak Mansions on Underhill Road to avoid confusion, and
> > perhaps leave the flat numbers in a note or stick them into the
> > addr:housename.
> >
> > Or more complicated: a block of flats that itself is numbered 234-236
> > Peckham Rye, and within that block there are flats 1-18. If I add the
> > building to the associatedStreet relation with addr:housenumber=234-236,
> > there's no way to also say how many flats there are. But if I say
> > addr:housenumber=1-18 it looks like that building contains 1-18 Peckham Rye!
> > The only hacky solution I can think of is to put the flat numbers in the
> > addr:housename value so it's there, albeit not easily found by a machine.
>
> I haven't come across this problem myself but a first guess as to how
> to solve it would be:
>
> addr:housenumber=234-236
> addr:flatnumber=1-18

I've done addr:flats=1-18 before which I saw was in use:

14:57 <osmbot-test> Derick: Tag addr:flats has 1468 values and appears 5220
times in the planet.
14:58 <osmbot-test> Derick: Tag addr:flatnumber has 68 values and appears 113
times in the planet.

> addr:housename=Honor Oak Mansions
> addr:flatnumber=1-12
> and have no addr:housenumber since it has no Underhill Road address number
>
> You can still add it to the associatedStreet relation for Underhill Road.
>
> I don't claim that this is the cleanest solution but it's the easiest
> to use and understand.

It's what I've done too; except for s/flatnumber/flats/

cheers,
Derick

--
http://derickrethans.nl | http://xdebug.org