I wrote:
> SomeoneElse on IRC noticed a big heap of debatable bulk
> changes to station nodes in the UK

Someone else (not SomeoneElse... hell this is confusing) has pointed me,
off-list, to this:

http://mapbox.com/blog/improved-british-rail-icons/

which obviously looks cool. I guess this is probably the source of the bulk
edits.

Without wanting to copy out the Mechanical Edits Policy word-for-word, I'd
strongly reiterate the need (and, besides that, desirability) of
consultation before making big changes like this. "With great power comes
great responsibility" and all that.

Most importantly, local insight gives better answers - that is, after all,
the USP of OSM. The RoW tagging thread running at the moment on talk-gb is
an excellent example of how it should work: something that might seem simple
from afar actually turns out to be a bit more nuanced, but by giving careful
consideration to the nuances, we're making what is hands-down the best map
of the world. I hope we can have a similarly useful conversation about the
stations too.

cheers
Richard