Hi Richard & everyone,

This started off simply as an effort to improve our display London
Underground stations using existing OSM data, but was scope-creeped
into much more and apparently we messed up.

We've found that the lack of familiar London Underground and National
Rail icons is a particularly strong sticking point with people who
would otherwise happily switch to OSM, which is partly why we chose to
focus on it. The tagging for stations is not so consistent, and my
blog post goes into details about how we attempt to account for this
as much as possible at the import & rendering stages. However certain
inconsistencies seemed simple enough to just fix in OSM.

We saw network=National Rail tags already in use at various stations
and didn't think continuing to use them would be an issue. The
imports/mechanical edits policies didn't come to my mind because we
started with just a handful of edits. Even though this obviously ended
up turning into many more, I thought that things were being done quite
manually and carefully. There were no scripts or bots used, but the
error the Craig points out looks like the result of a very bulk and
incorrect copy/paste (or something) so clearly there were problems
here.

> ... something that might seem simple
> from afar actually turns out to be a bit more nuanced, but by giving careful
> consideration to the nuances, we're making what is hands-down the best map
> of the world. I hope we can have a similarly useful conversation about the
> stations too.

I guess our excitement to make awesome maps tripped us up here.
Richard pointed out specifically that 'the "network=National Rail" tag
is of debatable value and relevance'. I'm curious about the details of
why.

We just went with what seemed to be an established tagging system (but
I guess is actually not). I am interested to hear tagging ideas that
would be both correct and useful for rendering a map with appropriate
icon styles.

AJ @ MapBox