"National Rail" is what ATOC came up with to describe things that are
represented by the double-arrow symbol, and which would formerly have been
referred to as "British Rail" or informally as the rail network. (The staff
refer to it as "the railway", but that's another subject)

"National Rail" isn't a great name, but it's the correct one. The symbol is
owned by ATOC.