The problem with "path" is that it doesn't convey any meaning. The original
idea behind "footway" was that it was a way that you traversed on foot. Over
the years others have wanted to segregate this blanket idea into different
fractions to denote the diffident types of footway. I can name a few
examples that apply in some locations but not others (and I'm sure I've not
been exhaustive in the list below)

A designated alignment only for walkers (in the UK we have various
designations, some are seen elsewhere as well)

A line on the ground that is used (mostly) buy those on foot though it might
be a sheep or goat too! It may move a bit season to season.

The part of a highway that is used for walking (and sometimes cycling) -
what is generally called a sidewalk in the US and a pavement in the UK.

A pedestrian way that links buildings or other facilities. Generally paved
and may vary in width substantially

So, when we talk about tagging the above we could stick with the quick and
easy method and call them all footway (if that they are for foot traffic) or
we could be smarter and change the main tag, or we could be even smarter
still and keep the blanket tag as originally intended and add other tags to
properly describe our feature like we do with highways, railways and almost
every other root way we have.

Cheers

Andy