On 16 January 2013 13:04, Brian Prangle <bpran...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might like to get a volunteer to check a pilot import that's limited
> within a manageable area - suggest a limited range of postcodes

Another useful check would be to apply your matching over the OSM
database, and pull out all the potential polygons that are already
tagged with a postcode. Then compare the existing tagging with the
postcode you get from the external data. Loot at the number /
percentage of dependencies, and for each one try to work out which
source is correct. This might will give you another indication of the
accuracy of the proposed import.

(Personally, I'm not sure I see much benefit to the import. It's
presumably going to add relatively few postcodes, so won't be that
much use for anyone wanting to use OSM data for postcode look-ups.
Indeed anyone wanting to do that could just as easily use the centroid
data directly to map a postcode to a location, and then use that
location to do whatever searching they want to do on OSM. There is
obviously some advantage in that we'll have more buildings / amenities
with properly assigned post-codes. But because of the relatively low
benefit (unless I'm missing something) I would say that the community
should see good evidence for an extremely low error rate on the import
before agreeing that it would be a good thing to do.)

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker