I would imagine that this would add a fair number of postcodes, and
although those interested in address lookup can just use the centroid
database without needing to go to OSM, this requires knowledge of the
database (which non-UK developers might not have) and does not link
postcodes back to address numbers and street names. Also recall that the
Auto industry asked in 2012 how OSM intends to bridge the gap between us
and commercial map providers. Something like this would be a good step in
the right direction in my opinion.

>From what I have heard, this sounds like a very cautious import and I am
happy to support it. It may even have lower "error" rates than some manual
edits!!

RobJN

p.s. Matt, if you are reading this, do you still update your graph of
number of postcodes added to OSM? Might be interesting to see it.