'description' might be an appropriate tag - after all that is what the phrase "Foston Hat­ton Hilton Bypass" actually is.

Roger

On 20/02/2013 08:30, Richard Mann wrote:
I'd use alt_name. At least it's an established place to look for "alternative" stuff.

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net <mailto:rich...@systemed.net>> wrote:

    Rovastar wrote:
    > "Fos­ton Hat­ton Hilton Bypass", etc  don't as far I I know
    appear on
    > the ground however I think the some record should appear in
    > OSM. I am worried about the trend in this case of placing them
    > as the "name" of the road as what reference point would people
    > use for these.

    Having lived near there (part time) for six years, certainly I
    never heard
    anyone call it that.

    I tend to tag C-roads with admin_ref rather than ref, on the basis
    that it's
    a reference for administrative purposes rather than general usage.
    By the
    same token, maybe admin_name would work here, or something like it.

    cheers
    Richard