* How accurate is the data already in OSM?
Interesting question Rob, as of today there's approximately 200,000 ways or
nodes tagged with postcodes in OSM, this is made up of about 29,000 unique
postcodes.  Those numbers are not 100% accurate as my bounding box for
getting the data overlaps a bit with France and Ireland. I've removed the
obvious French postcodes (5 digits) there might be a few I missed although
I'm pretty sure the extras don't skew the numbers too much.

I've compared the unique values from that list with the ONS dataset
(excluding terminated postcodes) and come up with the list linked below [1]

There's 1119 unique invalid postcodes, which of of course doesn't account
for ways or nodes that are incorrectly tagged with a valid postcode but is
a useful stat nonetheless.  It should also be relatively easy to get those
cleaned up I would think.
Couple of notes about the data, there are a few postcodes that look like
they are valid (e.g. BR3 1AZ, WC2H 9BD) but they have in fact got some
invalid characters at the end that are not visible so that's why they are
listed.  It also includes postcodes in lowercase as well since it breaks
from the convention of uppercase postcodes, you could argue that they
should be in or out, but it was easier to leave them in.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0viaV_xKHyCNmJDY1A1X092Zkk/edit?usp=sharing