Kevin Peat wrote:
On 11 Mar 2013 21:27, "Dudley Ibbett" <dudleyibb...@hotmail.com
<mailto:dudleyibb...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

 > Is there a correct answer for this or is it a matter of mapping style?  I am
leaning towards using Highway=Service for these and keeping Highway=Track for
"tracks" that link from fields to farms or roads to fields (i.e. not from roads
to farmyards or residential properties...

Modern farms are more like industrial estates with access designed for 40t
trucks and massive farm machinery so in those cases I favour highway=service for
the main farm access road even if it has a central divide like a track might
have.

Highway=track is better for typical bridleways, green lanes, etc that only a
tractor or 4x4 could use.

I tend to follow the same rule. As soon as there is a diversity of premises on the way then it tends to get 'service'. A single residence would not normally have it's drive shown, but where it may have public access to walk down, 'track' seems less formal?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL