The problem seemed to be that the boundary of Rydal Water had been split into 3 parts which, although they were assigned to the Rydal Water relation, had no tags of their own. Potlatch was not identifying the area as water.

I have joined them up, and given them the natural=water tag. Potlatch now recognises Rydal Water as a lake. I chose this approach after reviewing how Grasmere was tagged. I assume something similar happened to Windermere, but have not time to investigate now.

If anyone is not happy with what I have done, let me know - there are always subtleties of these things to be learnt.

Roger