The entire landcover tag discussion on the wiki is a huge distraction,and
not based on any objective criteria, let alone an attempt to see if what we
have works.

I, on the other hand, gave a paper at SotM-Eu in 2011 which showed that use
of existing tags could provide a level of land-use/land-cover mapping
comparable to the European Environment Agency's Urban Atlas. The slides are
here <https://sotm-eu.org/slides/38_JerryClough_UrbanAtlas_SK53.pdf>. I
think there are enough details in the methodology for anyone to replicate
this for other places. Unfortunately a lot of Europe has imported Corine
data and therefore it is not possible to assess the practicability of OSM
as a general source for land-use/land-cover.

Furthermore the main dataset I used, Nottingham, was based on a snapshot so
that I was not tempted to add tags to correct. I actually ran the data for
several european cities, and for two square degrees of the UK. The main
problem in matching OSM to Urban Atlas was not tagging, but the absence of
mapping of landuse. Other discrepancies were due to change in landuse in
the timeframe since the UA data had been compiled, and faulty
interpretation in the UA data set (faculty buildings at Nottingham
University classed as residential, for instance).

Whereas there are some issues with landuse tags, they will not be fixed by
inventing another category which will be beset by the same problems over
time. It's much better to try and persuade people that things like
landuse=grass for farmland pasture is a bad idea.

Jerry

PS. Can I just echo what Richard said in a recent e-mail: you are taking
the wiki far too seriously. It really is a curates egg.