Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 06:30:23 +0100
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] "Lines of Trees" along river banks etc.
From: sk53....@gmail.com
To: dudleyibb...@hotmail.com
CC: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org

I don't think these are hedgerows at all. They are really relict river gallery
woodland (usually Salicion albae, NVC W6) and I would expect are mainly Willows
with the odd Poplar and Alder.

A photo example (and a location) might help.

Typical components along the Trent (Notts & Derbys) and Thames (Berks & Bucks)
will be:
planted trees, usually hybrid Poplar and White Willow, but some real oddities
Crack Willow and Alder as standard trees
pollarded trees, mainly Crack Willowshrubby trees, predominantly Osier and Grey
Willow, but some Almond & Purple Willow
occasionally dense scrub with Hawthorn and Elder
The willows nearly always are self-set. Any willow twig broken off in a flood
is capable of regenerating (for Crack Willow and Native Black Poplar this is
the usual means of propagation), provided there is enough moisture. This means
that river banks are naturally always getting new additions, and that clearance
of willow scrub is a never ending task. However, the zone where this happens is
quite narrow, depending of height of flood waters and maintaining the relevant
moisture levels.

I don't know much about palatability of willows to livestock, but suspect they
are not very tasty. When fields have grazing next to a river, usually cattle
will have made a few gaps to get at the water, but my impression is that they
don't graze on willows, although sheep probably do.

It may be useful to show that a water body is tree-lined. I personally use
tree_lined=yes on tree-lined roads (more as a place holder), but there is also
natural=row_of_trees. You might want left and right. For the scrub willow
thickets I think natural=scrub is the right tag, even if you choose to put it
on a way (these will be NVC W1-W3, with W1 being the commonest).

Regards,
Jerry

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 11:15 PM, Dudley Ibbett <dudleyibb...@hotmail.com>