I keep coming across cases where marking the access to a way based on
primary category will imply that the way is not suitable for use on
foot.  That becomes particularly interesting with barriers, as in
those cases, the sidewalk may bypass the barrier.

For concrete examples, I'll use Northwick Park and Northwick Part Tube
station, in North West London.

At the North end, there is a stub road
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/6134854>.  This is gated off,
almost permanently, where it joins the local public road, but has
sidewalks and there are gaps in the barrier for each sidewalk.

At the station end, it leads to a permanently open foot tunnel, which
exits to Proyer's Path, which is signposted as mixed foot and cycle,
and was recently re-laid explicitly to make it suitable for mixed use.
 There are also foot routes into Westminster University and Northwick
Park Hospital, from the end of the tunnel.

It seems to me that the stub road has private status for motor
vehicles, and as it is in the form of a road for such vehicles, that
is its primary status.  Is must have destination status on foot and
dismounted bicycles, for the tube station.  The junction with Proyers
Path suggests that it should have at least yes status for foot and
cycle.

At the moment, I've coded it as access=private; foot=yes, which should
result in correct routing decisions, but will cause it not to show as
passable to pedestrians on normal map renderings.

The gate is more of a problem, as my reading of the access rules for
gates is that they specify what can pass when the gate is open, so
don't allow you to specify categories for which the gate effectively
doesn't exist (pedestrians, in this case).  Gates possibly need a way
of indicating types of traffic for which they are really entrances.
(Possibly foot=entrance, or, with more backward compatibility
problems, motor_vehicle=gate.)

At the other end of Proyers path, is a car park, and a roadway leads
South from there, to another gate
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/370154648>, which is open to
authorised vehicles only (as signed on the driveway, beyond the gate,
so really not an attribute of the gate).  The gate is bypassed by
people on the pavement on the public road, but is open from 8am to
nominal dusk.  To add complications, just inside the gate is a PROW
public footpath sign, for a footpath to the park, so, although the
scope of this is very unclear, the bypass probably has PROW status.

Authorised vehicles are, I suspect, ones using the pavilion, by the
car park, but the main reason is probably to stop its use as a station
car park, by long distance commuters.

The road has cycle markings, so there is some presumption that it is
always open to cycles.

If I mark the gate with opening hours and access, it implies these
restrictions apply to pedestrians and cyclists, which they don't.  If
I mark the driveway as private or destination, it will be shown as
that on the standard map, even if the restriction is removed by the
use of foot and cycle keys.

Whilst one could break out the sidewalk paths on each side of the
gate, as explicit features, that will clutter the map (as a side note,
I already see some areas of the map being cluttered by having every
private path and car park).  It doesn't help with the driveway through
the park, as that has no sidewalks, once you get past the gate.

What are peoples thoujghts on the best way of getting the data model
correct, whilst also producing something useful to people using the
standard map rendering, particularly for barriers.

PS There are yellow padlocks on the second gate, so even the opening
hours are not valid for emergency vehicles.