On Sat, 2013-09-07 at 13:43 +0100, OpenStreetmap HADW wrote:
> On 7 September 2013 12:15, SomeoneElse <li...@mail.atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > In that instance isn't there effectively a short footway that runs parallel
> > to the short piece of road that has the barrier on it?
> >
> Micro-mapping tends to clutter the rendered map.  In any case, street
> maps are abstractions of the real world and do deliberately simplify.

Streetmaps do tend to be abstractions of the real world, and
openstreetmap ceased to be be a mere streetmap several years ago, and is
a far far better map than a mere streetmap can ever be. The word
streetmap implies urban, cities.

In many way I do wish a different name had been chosen, when trying to
wean friends and colleges off google and onto OSM I do find the word
streetmap is a perceptive barrier to acceptance as they then assume and
A to Z and not something rivaling, and exceeding, OS maps, that can
allow you to walk in the countryside and show hedges and stiles.

In the UK we have all grown up with high quality mapping and obviously
we are not going to be content to stop short of that.

Phil (trigpoint)