On 3 December 2013 02:51, wintonian <m...@wintonian.net> wrote:
> Can use this data from Hants CC ( http://www3.hants.gov.uk/row/row-maps.htm
> )? It has been released under the 'Open Goverment License' (
> http://www3.hants.gov.uk/opendata/licence.htm ).

Data released under the "Open Government Licence" would be fine to use
in OSM. However, according to
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/row/row-maps.htm the RoW GIS data is actually
released under the "Ordnance Survey Open Data Licence". This licence
is slightly difference, and problematic as far as OSM is concerned.
See http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/os-open-data.html for a full
discussion. The short answer is that we can't use OS OpenData licensed
material (or derivativ3e works thereof) without separate permission
from the rights holders.

It's possible someone may have got that permission for the Hampshire
data from Hampshire CC and OS though. See what's written at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/UK_local_councils -- but I'd check
with whoever added that comment that it can be relied upon first. (OS
have been rather inconsistent in the past in their statements about
whether their OS OpenData Licence is compatible with the ODbL that OSM
uses.) It looks like the edit where it was added was
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=UK_local_councils&diff=782218&oldid=782215
.

As far as Public Rights of Way in general are concerned, another
source of information (which OS doesn't claim any rights in) is the
written "Definitive Statement" that each council also has to maintain.
Since the data in the statements is owned entirely by the councils,
they are free to release it under a suitable licence (e.g. the OGL)
for use in OSM. For more information and advice, see
http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/prow/council-docs.html . The Hampshire
Definitive Statements are online, but I don't know if they've been
released under a suitable licence.

Hope that helps,

Robert.

--