Nick Whitelegg wrote:
 >What sort of spec machine are we taking about for a GB extract?

The main problem is less the osm2pgsql extraction (which can be run in slim mode
to conserve memory) and more the speed of accessing the postgis database to grab
the data.

Very much 'work in progress' ... a new initial extract is running as we speak :)
http://lsces.co.uk/wiki/OSM+Data+Mirror+on+SUSE13.1

I have OSRM running on that machine http://osrm.rdm2.co.uk/main.html and am planning to drop another machine over to Sheffield to do the rendering for my own tile set, but I've had this all running nicely on a local machine, only restricted by 'BT Broadband' so once it's all on a nice fast pipe everything should be a bit more accessible.

While the crib sheets are freely accessible, they are mainly intended as my own guide to keeping everything running, and rebuilding machines if required. Any corrections or improvements are MOST welcome!

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL