On 24 January 2014 11:32, SK53 <sk53....@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the sake of clarification:
>
> Robert Whittaker's interpretation of the Ordnance Survey Open Government
> License is not widely accepted in the community.

In the light of OS's own interpretation that the OS-ODL is
incompatible with the ODbL, and also the OSM Licence Working Group's
view that (with the exception of some specific OS OpenData Products
where we have explicit permission) the OS-ODL is not sufficient on its
own to allow data to be used in OSM, I don't see that the community
has much choice but to accept it.

Please read http://robert.mathmos.net/osm/os-open-data.html for the full detail.

> Overall in the past 3 and a half years we have traced, imported or otherwise
> derived large quantities of data under this license. Mike Collinson spent
> considerable time discussing our use of the license with the Ordnance
> Survey on behalf of the OSM Foundation.

We're able to make use of the OS OpenData products (with the exception
of CodePoint Open) because Mike Collinson and LWG got special
permission from OS for us to do so, not because it was found that the
OS-ODL was compatible. So we're using that data under the separate
permission, rather than under the OS-ODL. The permission only extends
to the those specific OS OpenData products, and does not cover any
other data that may be licensed (by OS or others) under the OS-ODL.

Robert.

--
Robert Whittaker