I am in Oxfordshire where we have permission to use the definitive
statement under OGL (but not the map).

I have used the key prow_ref to add the council reference number for
several paths and tagged them with

designation=public_footpath (or public_bridleway if it's a bridleway) .
See [1]http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:prow_ref