Can you help?

I have a problem with Stansted, and don't know how to go about sorting it.
Fundamentally, it is drawn so that it looks nice cartographically, but there
are no routeable connections between the rail station and the coach station, or
up into the terminal building. So I need to add some in, but levels keep
getting in the way.

The coach station is at ground level. Really ground level. Currently all the
bays are shown, but behind the coach station there isn't a footpath, but there
is a roof. Unsurprisingly, pedestrians cannot use roofs! I can put a footpath
underneath that, though, so it isn't really a problem. The problem starts to
come when you go into the terminal building, which you do just behind the coach
station in a number of places (where the north-projecting bits of roof are).

For those of you who don't know Stansted, the terminal building sits atop a
built up bank. So the entrance has all the appearance of being at ground level,
as it is just like a mini hill, but is really at level 1, as can be seen if you
view the terminal from the air side, with all of the baggage handling areas on
the true ground floor. The entrances from the coach station go in at true
ground, there are then footpaths/ramps/lifts/escalators down to the rail
station at level -1, and up to the terminal building. The terminal building,
though, is currently set to level 0 and I am loath to change it in case that
makes it appear to be up in the air - and as I said, the air side of the
terminal really does sit on the ground, and it is mapped as one building. The
only part of the terminal that is currently mapped as level 1 is a passenger
air bridge, which really is a walkway over a road. But it is a flat walk out of
the level 0 terminal!

I don't want to break it, but I need to reflect the routing options, lifts,
escalators, ramps, etc. But how should I enter these? As "visible" elements, or
as hidden elements? And how should I show the tunnels from the ground level
coach station under the terminal building as tunnels, and...

You can see why I am confused!

Many thanks
Stuart

Stuart Reynolds