On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 08:19:25PM +0100, Dan S wrote:
> > However two nodes with standard tags don't distinguish "W H Smiths
> > inside Post office" from the inverse. That seems a useful distinction.
> > sub_shop=yes is ugly, but perhaps something along these lines already
> > exists or is needed?
>
> This may have been discussed heavily elsewhere, I don't know. My own
> opinion is that if you need something to be _inside_ something else,
> there's no point trying to do that just with nodes, since areas are
> perfect for the job!

Agreed, but it breaks the symmetry and requires more careful survey.
In my case, gps is a bit poor among tall buildings, and the shops
are all in one big building. I can get a rough outline from Bing, but
the inner walls would be guesswork. I don't want to introduce spurious
accuracy into the database, so nodes seem appropriate here.

I suppose a relation might capture the semantics, but I don't think that
would be very obvious to the average user, who may not be a mapper at
all. He/she needs to know he has to go inside WHS to find the Post Office.
I suppose the obvious rendering would be as you suggest: WHS as an area
containing the PO. Ho hum...

ael