On 26/10/14 19:02, Andy Street wrote:
On Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:11:39 +0000
Will Phillips <wp4...@gmail.com> wrote:

My understanding has always been that addr:place is similar to
addr:street, except when the unit in question isn't a street but some
other grouping of addresses such as a business park, retail park or
shopping centre, which serves a similar function to a street in the
address.
So far I've been tagging addresses like this:

addr:housename = Enterprise House
addr:site      = The Business Park
addr:street    = High Street
addr:place     = Locality
addr:city      = Posttown
addr:postcode  = AB12 3CD
addr:country   = GB

The last thing I would include in OSM addressing is the confusing and wholly unjustifiable post town as defined by Royal Mail. I live in a village in its own civil parish and completely separate from a nearby village that Royal Fail insist is my postal town. This postal town is a village; it has nothing at all to do with my village except that my post is delivered from a small office there. When I quote my postcode, companies who use Royal Fail's PAF conclude that I live in the next door village rather than the one I actually live in. When a delivery is sent here, the CARP or sat-nav -generated route sends the driver to my door in a village that is not always on the delivery note (because that wrongly has the postal town on it), causing problems including abandoned deliveries.

We in OSM can do SO much better and we must not use the imaginary, spurious and wholly wrong concept of Royal Fail's postal town. Postal towns are not real and have no place in OSM.

One good thing is that Royal Fail has finally removed Humberside from the PAF. In fact they had North & South Humberside in the PAF when only Humberside ever existed. Humberside was abolished in 1996, so Royal Fail are really good at keeping up.

We can do SO much better.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly