On 05/11/14 08:32, Stuart Reynolds wrote:
> I have to say that this is all getting rather intense. We are talking
> about one chain of shops! And clearly we aren't going to get an
> agreement on standardisation.

The 'one chain of shops' has perhaps masked my objection to the general
process. There has always been a 'gentleman’s understanding' that what
was used as the 'name' was what appears on the ground? Other facets of
that such as translations, branding, and the like are based on
documentation rather than 'fact' on the ground, and only a ground survey
can show that - for example - every 'Brantano Footwear' shop does indeed
have that on it's sign. co-op and co-operative are another area where a
blanket edit is not appropriate. While you may well be able to identify
all the shops operated by 'x' from a list of their stores, and add that
as an 'operator', where branding has changed over the years, some stores
may still be in an older livery, and in my book even the capitalization
is important in that!

Flag them for checking - yes - change them without any reference to the
site - no.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL