I've seen numerous examples of this in OS OpenData, including fields
marked up as woodland (which aren't on their paid paper maps), also
they move things out of the way, e.g. buildings and drains to make way
for the roads. Also, if anyone has used the OS VectorData to any
extent, they'll notice it's also been altered (simplified)
unnecessarily, or random things have been omitted for no apparent
reason, e.g. large ponds, whilst the small ones are included. It
almost seems to me that the OpenData is purposely created this way to
limit its usefulness (e.g. No vector version of StreetView, missing
tracks (but they include historical roman roads??), so they've done
the absolute minimum to make their data open.

Compared with other countries who offer all of their data for public
use, it's pretty sad unfortunately. I think it's safe to say that OS
OpenData should not be used as an authoritative source.

Tony