> Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2015 10:42:01 +0100
> From: bpran...@gmail.com
>
> This could be Royal Mail postboxes (still loads to do); Royal Mail
> delivery offices and sorting offices; delivery areas/gates to factories
> and town centre shopping malls; maxheights and maxweights on roads;
> courier depots; distribution warehouses; new internet shopping parcel
> lockers (see wiki
> entry<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_United_Kingdom/Parcel_Lockers>);
>
> there's a new parcel-collection service based around mainline stations
> called Doddle.it; airfreight facilities; railway marshalling yards;
> secure lorry parks; port/dock facilities and anything else you can
> think of. All suggestions and stories welcome.

My 2p:
If surveying postboxes, is to also record the postbox type (mostly lamp, pillar
or wall) and the Royal Cypher.
See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=post_box

The postbox type seems to be available in Royal Mail dataset(s) but AFAIK the
Royal Cypher is not, hence this is an opportunity for OSM crowd sourcing
capabilities.

Hardly any one (no one?) seems to have gone to detail of recording the
manufacturer of the post box, which is often visible on older postboxes.

Personally I have given up recording collection times, since now the Royal mail
have changed their timings and of course this is not geographically relevant /
likely to change more often thus unlikely to be correct. Hence it's better to
link from the postbox to the Royal Mail's own current service provision level.

However what is probably more guaranteed is the latest collection box for the
area (most boxes say which one it is - often located the local delivery
office). I suspect it can be calculated by processing all collection_times for
an area (which area - postal code?) but could also be served via a specific
(new) tag on those specific late collection postboxes.

The flickr group https://www.flickr.com/groups/postboxbypostcode/pool has a
vast collection of images (currently 28,000+ - variable copyright), maybe worth
trying to reinvigorate / promote OSM additions there.