On 27/07/15 08:43, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Lester Caine wrote:
>> > The other area that I am looking to roll back
> First, I wouldn't think in terms of "rolling back" at all.
>
> Cartography for a UK tileset could and should be designed from scratch. If
> you really want to start with an existing tileset then use OSM Bright, not
> osm-carto, but I'm not convinced that's necessary. We're much more likely to
> get a coherent, UK-friendly style by thinking about it from first principles
> than by adapting osm-carto with its eight-year heritage (and all the
> attendant compromises).
>
> Second, let's not start with raster rendering. Let's build this as a vector
> tileset from the start, with in-browser/on-device rendering.
>
> Vectors have lighter infrastructure needs, and enable clickable POIs and
> on-the-fly restyling. The UK is small enough that we could just run it
> through tilemaker (https://github.com/systemed/tilemaker) without the need
> for a complex stack. The two disadvantages are that the very oldest browsers
> will struggle, and that (for now) minutely updates don't happen unless you
> build that complex stack - but that's fine, we still have osm-carto for
> instant feedback.
>
> Let's build tomorrow's map, not yesterday's; and who knows, maybe osm-carto
> might want to borrow from some of our advances in months to come!

Richard ... that is exactly the sort of help I was looking for. I've
spent the last couple of years trying to keep clients websites working
given all of the crap going on in browsers and the other infrastructure,
so I've been reliant on things like OSM 'just working'. I NEED to get
OSMAND set up properly for UK use ... it's current routing rules just do
not work around here ... and that shows what can be done.

But I still see a place for a traditional tile set which I use for
location maps on the websites, and it's this changing that is causing
the current 'complaints' where we had local detail added which no longer
renders nicely.

My only problem is conflicts with bloody 'boost' and lua has been fun as
well ... everybody seems to feel the whole infrastructure needs changing
  while I'm still on a PHP/C++ base :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL