On 26/01/16 21:20, Rob Nickerson wrote:

> BTW: The amenity=college page on the wiki [1] is lacking a lot. Could do
> with some extra details (rather than simply linking to wikipedia) and
> it's context needs expanding beyond just the UK. Any takers?
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcollege

Actually the way that the UK higher education structure has changed it's
possibly pointless today bothering with 'college' as a category. Many
'Technical Colleges' now call themselves Universities, and secondary
education now extends into the sixth form college sector. When a
University includes 'Hairdressing' or 'Car mechanics' then it's degree
status looks a little suspect? Even the Wikipedia article is tagged as
'Outdated' for 'Further Education' :)

That said, The remaining college sector does seem to be consolidating
with a well defined 'non-university' prospectus and the EduBase2
categories for University and College is probably an ideal division to
follow, and I was tagging sixth form colleges as College rather than
School following that tagging. The question perhaps is should the fancy
'Academy' Secondary school be tagged separately at all? Since these do
not have to include that in their titles ... The tricky bit being the
16-19 age range campuses. Of cause once the URN is included one can look
up the secondary data anyway.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL