The access constraints on the park are quite complicated, although for
vehicles they are clearly access=destination. The regulations of The Park
are embodied in two private Acts of Parliament
<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1990/14/pdfs/ukla_19900014_en.pdf>. It
took a 5 day public enquiry
<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/openstreetmap-at-public-inquiry.html>
to establish
<http://www.nottinghampost.com/Park-Estate-t-block-hoi-polloi-Lenton/story-20306183-detail/story.html>that
one pedestrian route is actually a right of way. As far as I know there are
two other routes which may be PRoWs but this has not been established. In
practice the precise legal position for routes other than the Lenton Road
public footpath <http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/12360834> has not been
established, and the tagging for this is correct
designation=public_footpath which implies foot=yes. (This does need a tweak
on the roundabout with the intersection with Cavendish Drive.

I would much prefer that you add foot=permissive rather than remove the
generic tag: this is how most things have been tagged in the area. For
instance, although I suspect folk cycle through The Park I have no idea if
they have the right to do so, whether it is permitted or tolerated. It may
well be that passing through the area as a pedestrian is technically not
allowed: certainly the provisions in the private acts were perceived to be
in conflict with relevant public Acts of Parliament (specifically CRoW
2000).

In practice for routing to destinations which aren't in the Park, the
existing footpath is by far-and-away the likeliest route. Descending
through Derby Road to Castle Boulevard may be used by some, the reverse
isn't very attractive as a short cut. Similarly for Park Steps. I'm not
certain of the current status of the tunnel, which would avoid hills. I
suspect Strava
<http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15/-1.16320/52.95091/blue/run>gives a
misleading impression as the prominent route through The Park was the
course for the 2015 Robin Hood Marathon.

Over the past 50 years The Park Estate has progressive increased how it
enforces its powers with respect to traffic, from partial tolerance of rat
runs, some closed entrances, through to entrances all having barriers:
these should also affect vehicular routing. It is generally helpful for
vehicle users that the roads in The Park Estate are rendered in such a way
that they are obviously different from ordinary residential streets.

Paul Sladen is the person who is likeliest to know more as he played a much
bigger role in the public enquiry. Robert Howard has also written
extensively about some of the pedestrian issues
<http://parkviews.blogspot.co.uk/p/park-footpath.html>.

Jerry