Hi Jerry,

Many thanks for that view. I’m quite happy to add foot=permissive instead of
doing my proposed changes - looking for better solutions was why I asked!

Regards,
Stuart

------------------------------------
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia

On 28 Jan 2016, at 16:00, SK53 <sk53....@gmail.com<mailto:sk53....@gmail.com>>
wrote:

The access constraints on the park are quite complicated, although for vehicles
they are clearly access=destination. The regulations of The Park are embodied
in two private Acts of
Parliament<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1990/14/pdfs/ukla_19900014_en.pdf>.
 It took a 5 day public
enquiry<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/openstreetmap-at-public-inquiry.html>
 to establish
<http://www.nottinghampost.com/Park-Estate-t-block-hoi-polloi-Lenton/story-20306183-detail/story.html>
 that one pedestrian route is actually a right of way. As far as I know there
are two other routes which may be PRoWs but this has not been established. In
practice the precise legal position for routes other than the Lenton Road
public footpath<http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/12360834> has not been
established, and the tagging for this is correct designation=public_footpath
which implies foot=yes. (This does need a tweak on the roundabout with the
intersection with Cavendish Drive.

I would much prefer that you add foot=permissive rather than remove the generic
tag: this is how most things have been tagged in the area. For instance,
although I suspect folk cycle through The Park I have no idea if they have the
right to do so, whether it is permitted or tolerated. It may well be that
passing through the area as a pedestrian is technically not allowed: certainly
the provisions in the private acts were perceived to be in conflict with
relevant public Acts of Parliament (specifically CRoW 2000).

In practice for routing to destinations which aren't in the Park, the existing
footpath is by far-and-away the likeliest route. Descending through Derby Road
to Castle Boulevard may be used by some, the reverse isn't very attractive as a
short cut. Similarly for Park Steps. I'm not certain of the current status of
the tunnel, which would avoid hills. I suspect Strava
<http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15/-1.16320/52.95091/blue/run> gives a
misleading impression as the prominent route through The Park was the course
for the 2015 Robin Hood Marathon.

Over the past 50 years The Park Estate has progressive increased how it
enforces its powers with respect to traffic, from partial tolerance of rat
runs, some closed entrances, through to entrances all having barriers: these
should also affect vehicular routing. It is generally helpful for vehicle users
that the roads in The Park Estate are rendered in such a way that they are
obviously different from ordinary residential streets.

Paul Sladen is the person who is likeliest to know more as he played a much
bigger role in the public enquiry. Robert Howard has also written extensively
about some of the pedestrian
issues<http://parkviews.blogspot.co.uk/p/park-footpath.html>.

Jerry

On 28 January 2016 at 13:34, Stuart Reynolds
<stu...@travelinesoutheast.org.uk<mailto:stu...@travelinesoutheast.org.uk>>
wrote:
Hi all, and especially Nottingham mappers.

There is an area of Nottingham called The Park that is a private estate. At
present, all of the roads on the estate are tagged as access=destination.
However, my client at Nottingham City Council informs me that “there is
definitely pedestrian access through The Park” [my italics], while another
colleague tells me that “having lived for many years on a gated private road,
my interpretation of the signs [viewable on Streetview] is that the road and
vehicular access is private, but there is an unimpeded pedestrian right of way
in this example in Notts (as there was where I lived in the past)”.

Based on this, I propose to remove the access=destination tag from the roads on
the estate, and replace it with a vehicle=destination tag. That should allow
walking, while still having the desired effect of only allowing vehicular
access if you are actually going there.

This corresponds to the guidance at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access where it says that destination
means

Only when travelling to this element/area, i.e. local traffic only. NOTE: This
restriction often only applies to certain modes of transportation (e.g. only to
vehicles). Take care to use the right transport mode restriction, e.g.
vehicle<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:vehicle>=destination<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:vehicle%3Ddestination>
 when only vehicle traffic is restricted.

Regards,
Stuart