Rob,

While I understand the thrust you're trying to make towards a more "members
have the power" system, setting the bar as low as five members and having a
simple "online poll" in lieu of a meeting of the members would have two
problems:

   1. Entryism would be almost comically easy. It would be a small matter
   for myself and four friends to paralyse the chapter by constantly calling
   votes on anything and everything - for example, calling an online poll on
   the existence of the chapter. This would prevent them doing anything and
   everything which isn't a contractual or statutory obligation. It doesn't
   matter if I don't win, I can just call another one immediately afterwards,
   and the directors would be unable to stop me. If they wanted to try, I
   could just call a motion on whether or not they should stop me, which would
   prevent them from doing so for seven days.
   2. I'm concerned that any poll would be profoundly undemocratic unless
   carried out with the same rigour as a proper vote, in which case it would
   be a vote. If a member is on holiday for a week, or if they live overseas,
   they'll simply miss out - even the quick ones ("Blueys") can take six days
   to arrive. The 14 days notice period is really important, as is the
   formality of a vote which is binding on the directors. If the directors are
   going to be bound by something, that something needs to be properly planned
   and executed to the highest standards.

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992