Colin, do you have your own preferred style for how to tag a named
housing estate in a city for example? I use landuse=residential for
this (e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/51736709 though that one
wasn't by me) and I feel it a very appropriate style. It can easily be
carved out of a larger resi area if needed, and I'm not aware of any
drawback of that.

Cheers
Dan