Hi all,

I noticed that in Wales, large parts of the Snowdonia National Park have been covered with natural=heath, much of which seems blatantly incorrect. Although I am from the Netherlands, having studied for half a year in Bangor in 1993, I know the area around Snowdon mountain and Llanberis quite well, as I made several hikes there. As you all know, there is much more variation in the natural landscape there, for which a single swath of heath seems wholly inappropriate as a representation of the landscape. Even along the outer borders, the features often seem totally disconnected with reality looking at Bing, there is often no real visible difference in the landscape, or clearly other types of landscapes and natural features, all of this also strongly suggesting a possible import of some small scale, coarse landscape map.

Lastly, the lack of proper multipolygon creation, means that other types of renderers and styles than Carto, and GIS's like QGIS and ArcGIS, that do not stack features based on size but need multipolygons to deal with polygon-within-polygon problems, have many older detailed features covered up by these new ones, as the original data may be hidden beneath the newly added ones.

I noticed the particular user who initially created these features is already under scrutiny of the British community, based on the profile page and history of the objects, but what are the plans of the community with these features? Looking at the current data, I would really suggest a revert of the changesets, but considering some of these features seem to have been left for a couple of months already, are there any other ideas in the UK community?

P.S. I did notice the other discussion started by user "sk53.osm" about these problems caused by this user and natural=heath:

http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/natural-heath-td5888994.html

but that discussion seems to have veered of course into a general discussion of quality control tools, and didn't really answer the question of what the community intends to do with all this disputable data, despite a small suggestion by Andy to possibly keep some of the data as maybe already corrected by other users.

Marco

---