De: "Miguel Sevilla-Callejo" <msevill...@gmail.com>
Fecha: 14/8/2017 0:42
Asunto: Re: [Talk-GB] Edits in Wales
Para: "Andy Townsend" <ajt1...@gmail.com>

Dear all,

I'm so frustrated reading your emails.

I've living in Aberystwyth for two years before I came this summer. I know
the place, the people and the situation about the language.

Despite I do not have too many editions in OSM I'm involve actively in
Spanish community and I consider myself an good editor following the wiki,
working within the community and improving the data.

In other hand I'm PhD in Geography and I work with GIS and analyzing the
territory and teaching Geography.

Unfortunately, as you can read, English is not my mother tongue. Sorry
about that.

First, if you think the wiki is wrong maybe you could work to improve it
starting a discussion. What do you expect from a new collaborator? Does
he/she have to ask directly to you?

Second, despite other pages of the wiki, the page about multilingual
tagging I guess is OK as far as I know: the situation in Wales is the same
than in Basque Country where we tag name=neutral, Basque and Spanish (check
the wiki).

Third, although English is the language we use to tag, "name" tag is not
equal to name:en out of England or other ONLY English speaker places.

It's a shame see than in other villages in Ceredigion the streets in
OpenStreetMap are tag name=English_name and, if exists name:cy=Welsh_name.
Have a look to New Quay for instance.

In Ceredigion - I guess some of you prefer to call it Cardiganshire - people
are bilingual - they speak Welsh, no only for fun, and English - and the
street signs are in both languages (Andy, have a look of the photos in
Mapillary, please). So, it's common sense to follow not MY approach, the
WIKI approach: name=neutral + name:cy + name:en

Please, could you provide a good reason not to do this? I hope something
different than a aesthetic one or a preference from you who NOT live in
Wales.

As Brian said  definitely we need more people here, in Wales. By the
way, thanks
for your comprehensive reply.

I'm trying to envolve some Welsh colleagues in OSM and promoting our
wonderful mapping project around. I hope someone could help us to
understand better the place.

Cheers

--
🌍 Miguel Sevilla-Callejo