The main one I came across was is_in:continent=Europe. I asked why there wasn't one. The conclusion was no one could agree where the boundary actually was. Saying that, I'm unsure if specifying is_in:continent=Europe is that beneficial.

Also many local authority political ward boundaries aren't in the database.

DaveF

On 21/08/2017 20:00, Andrew Hain wrote:
Should we go a bit further and strip out all is_in tags not used by Nominatim across Britain (which may mean all of them), or are there other uses we should consider? The community in France did that when they finished mapping communes.

--
Andrew
*From:* Dave F <davefoxfa...@btinternet.com>
*Sent:* 20 August 2017 22:57:06
*To:* Andrew Black; Talk-GB@openstreetmap.org
*Subject:* Re: [Talk-GB] Are Northern Ireland, Wales & England 'states'?
I will revert

DaveF

On 12/08/2017 22:39, Andrew Black wrote:

On 12 August 2017 at 13:12, Dave F <davefoxfa...@btinternet.com <mailto:davefoxfa...@btinternet.com>> wrote:

    Hi
    I'm unsure if Northern Ireland, Wales & England should be tagged
    as 'states'.

    A new user's changeset comment:
    Adding more info. is_in:country_code was missing. Also classified
    Northern Ireland as a state so it appears in the same priority as
    Wales. Was unclassified before

Doesn't make sense to me.

"A high-level sub-national political entity (Wikipedia-16px.png Federated state <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:Federated_state>) in several large countries such as USA ("State"), Australia ("State"), Canada ("Province"). May also be applicable in other countries and languages, "Provincia", "Estado", "Land" - whether is should be used is up to you and mappers in your own country."

We are not a federated country. Suggest we revert it. Why is Wales a state in the first place.