Hi,

"So I'd be OK with any of highway=* plus access tags; shared_space=yes;
traffic_calming=shared_space; or maybe even go for duck tagging them as
highway=shared_space?"

I'm not sure highway=shared_space is any more duck tagging than
highway=unclassified etc.  To me the primary characteristic we consider for
highway classification in OSM has always been official classification
(motorway, trunk, primary etc.). A UK primary road can vary wildly in
character  from an NSL dual carriageway, to a 20mph city street, to a
single track road, Do the A5149 and A523 really cease to be primary and
trunk roads respectively because they meet in the centre of Poynton's
shared space scheme ( http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2935971 ) ? I
believe this example shows shared space should be considered to be a
feature of a highway, not the determining factor in its classification.

East Street in Horsham is another (sort of) example of a shared space and
has been tagged with the pedestrian/access tags method by lakedistrict. In
fact, the OSM wiki example of highway=pedestrian with access tags gets
pretty close to what I think of as a shared space, although there are some
differences in the priorities that are implied.

As promised, I did contact lakedistrict when I started this thread because
he first raised the living_streets issue in Preston. In his response he
said that he believed that living_streets should be restricted to signed
Home Zones and highway=pedestrian should be restricted to  signed
pedestrian streets, so I suspect teh Horsham example is probably signed as
a pedestrian street.

That '(sort of) example of shared use' raises another question about
hanging our highway classification on shared use, namely verfiiability. In
the UK shared use consists of an assortment of experimental road schemes,
signage is inconsistent and non-standard. Is it enough for some elements of
the design to be influenced by shared use, or should it be explicitly
signed? A minority of the streets tagged by Pete in Preston are explicitly
signed, with the rest being fairly quiet streets in the city centre with no
special signage on the ground.  It may be that there's a council document
somewhere labelling these as part of the scheme, but of course we can't use
that kind of document.

Kind regards,

Adam