I agree with the idea that living_street isn't appropriate for the town
centre roads identified here. I did notice that New Road in Brighton
(mentioned in the shared space Wikipedia article) has also been changed to
living_street by Pete Owens, although he has added access tags as well.

East Street in Horsham is another (sort of) example of a shared space and
has been tagged with the pedestrian/access tags method by lakedistrict. In
fact, the OSM wiki example of highway=pedestrian with access tags gets
pretty close to what I think of as a shared space, although there are some
differences in the priorities that are implied.

So I'd be OK with any of highway=* plus access tags; shared_space=yes;
traffic_calming=shared_space; or maybe even go for duck tagging them as
highway=shared_space?

Regards,
Matt