On 03/11/17 15:35, Philip Barnes wrote:
I would dispute that the operator is most locations is Shell and that
the brand should be Shell, but they are independent businesses who have
a franchise to sell Shell fuel, but Shell do not employ the cashier,
the mechanics or supply what is sold in the shop.

I wondered about this and tried to research it. It looks as though Shell don't do a standard franchise operation, where they only provide the branding and branded products, but do something in between, where they supply the actual petrol station as well, but they then sub-contract the shop to a small local business, but with some branding conditions (I've actually seen the head office provided plans of what must be on each shelf, although I'm not sure if it was Shell at the time).

I guess it is closer to a tied pub than a Burger King franchise. I'm not sure how to correctly code it. Arguably Shell operate the station as a whole, but the shop and cash desk area has a different operator.

brand=Shell seems safe, but operator is confusing.