On 15/11/17 01:53, Gervase Markham wrote:
Can we please have blue motorways and green A-roads?:-)  Or do people
not like green A-roads because so many other things are green?

Whilst the OSM map renderings probably fall in a grey area, between public services and private hobby, for any map rendering provided as a service to the general public, especially in a part of the world with a high prevalence of red-green colour blindness, using just a red-green distinction would be illegal under anti-discrimination law.

I'm not colour blind, but I rather suspect that most OSM cartographers have not considered people with vision defects in their decisions.

The other accessibility issue that is likely to arise is low colour contrasts. Web sites will fail accessibility guidelines, if, when you reduce them to black and white with the same luminance components, there is insufficient contrast.

The UK philosophy on law is to have laws which say things will be safe, accessible, etc., and then use non-legislative standards (building regulations approved documents, W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines, etc), to try and judge whether the law is being obeyed). As such, you will not find a law that explicitly states you can't rely on just a red-green distinction.