On 15/11/17 13:18, Adam Snape wrote:
Interesting, but if your interpretation of the law regarding red/green distinctions is correct, why do the majority of road road atlases on sale and most maps (both open and proprietary) supplied by Ordnance Survey maintain the red/green colouring?

OS certainly have thought about colour blindness, e.g. <https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2010/04/time-to-rethink-the-design-process/>, and <http://www.wired.co.uk/article/ordnance-survey-cvd-maps>. My guess, though, is that paper maps are not legally a service, unlike web sites, so are immune from the legislation. There probably also haven't been test cases.

Incidentally, my father is red/green colour blind and can tell the difference between the two shadesused in road atlases. He does however

Varying the shade as well as the colour, is one way of making maps colour blind friendly. My understanding, though, is that the degree of colour blindness varies, even within the predominant type found in UK males. Also colour vision is affected by the yellowing of the eye with age, so something that works for one person, may not do so for another.

The Wired article, above, indicates that there were problems with non-traditional colours for roads, which were resolved by creating lightness/darkness contrasts.

sometimes struggle with the picking out  the green dashed rights of way on the OS 1:25K Explorer mapping.

Googling "colour blindness os maps" throws up a lot of potentially interesting material on the subject.