Whilst in theory there is an implicit 30mph when street lights are present and
there are no repeater signs indicating a higher limit then the speed limit is
30 mph. It has nothing to do with urban, the same rule will apply on lit rural
roads. These days it is complicated by 20mph limits which also have no
repeaters.

That is the theory, however in over 40 years of driving and even longer cycling
I have never come across an unsigned 30mph limit. It is always signed as you
enter the zone. Whilst it's useful for confirmation whilst driving, it is not
really useful for mapping, you need to survey the start points so that it can
be split at the appropriate points.

Phil (trigpoint)