previous_name isn't documented -- and seems a bad idea. It's unlikely to
be searchable with Nominatim, and won't be rendered.

This is the scheme some of us are using in Bristol
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Bristol#Lifecycle.

----

In an ideal world (!) I'd say use something like disused:name /
proposed:name.

  * disused:name / proposed:name would be searchable.
  * proposed:name and disused:name would both be rendered (at lower
    priority to name) and "faintly"
  * validation support

No idea how such a Utopia might be achieved though.

Neil