I don't understand the logic of doing this?

Surely we map for what is there on the ground, not how it renders?  If a road
has a reference number or a name, surely it is up to the render if it should
show that information or not, not how we tag it in the database?

In my particular area I have people "helicopting in" to remove the C and U
numbers off the roads, just because they don't like the way it renders!  But
the fact is that none of the rural roads have signs giving the name, so just
because my local council can't agree on putting up signs on the road I live
on, it shouldn't have a name on OSM?

Again in my area this is the reason OpenStreetMap is gaining a lot of ground
compared to other maps, because it shows the road names and reference numbers
which are useful for locals and people trying to find their way around.  For
example, the local media will give a list of road names and reference numbers
during times of flood to indicate what roads locals should avoid.  There are
no other comparable maps which show this information, only OSM and a lot of
people now use OSM because of that.

Just because a local authority doesn't signpost something, does not mean it
doesn't exist or isn't useful to local people.

Just my two cents on the this, and I would very strongly object to this being
carried out in County Fermanagh.

KDDA