For completeness, I have updated https://map.atownsend.org.uk to show unsigned road names in brackets and unsigned refs in brackets at the end of the name.  The tags "highway_authority_ref" "admin_ref" and "official_ref" are assumed to be unsigned.

Examples:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/135465545
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=18&lat=54.099587&lon=-1.0061
(neither the name nor the highway_authority_ref here appear on the road)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/148638397
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=19&lat=52.90617&lon=-1.450913
(the name is signed but the ref isn't)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/89182833
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=20&lat=54.2394176&lon=-2.857967
(no name, and the admin_ref is presumably unsigned)

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/55579162
https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html#zoom=21&lat=52.6307176&lon=1.3776586
(name but different ref and highway_authority_ref)

There are combinations that aren't handled perfectly (especially where roads have a mixture of different refs) and I'll look at some of these edge cases later.  Hopefully though as things stand it's useful to people who really want to see these "official" refs.

Best Regards,

Andy