On 26/09/18 14:49, Tobias Zwick wrote:
Thank you for the answers given. Perhaps there are some
misunderstandings, so I want to clarify two points:

1.
A HGV is defined as a vehicle with a max allowable mass of above 3.5t,
even in the UK. Tagging "hgv=no" when seeing this sign is plain
incorrect, except if we specifically redefine only for OSM what
constitutes a HGV contrary to what can be found in the actual
legislation. I don't think it is wise to do that.

In terms of licensing, up to 7.5T MAM (or up to 8.25T with trailer) can be driven by people with suitable classes on an ordinary driving licence. Many older drivers already have these. 7.5T is where HGV licensing really bites. Some sources use the term MGV (Medium Goods Vehicle for the 3.5T to 7.5T range, but it does seem to be the case that HGV is used in some places.

In practice you are not going to get an HGV restriction below 7.5T MAM as that would rule out appliance delivery vehicles and house movers. You might have a maxweight below that, because of weak structures.

Also technically, the limit is on mass, not weight. It is not dependent on the barometer reading or whether the vehicle is at the poles or the equator.