Sorry, I only have yet more questions.

Once you get out into rural areas, it's sometimes the case that an entire
hamlet is covered by a one or two postcodes. There may be named streets but
according to RM/PAF these are ignored and such addresses take the form:
building name/number, locality, post town, postcode. The more natural fit,
following the structure prompted in the iD editor, for example, would be
building name/number, street, locality*, postcode.

*The locality suggested depends on how the area you're working in has been
mapped. Obviously when mapping you are free to override this.

HD8 8XU & HD8 8XY are a case in point. Do we map to fit the validator — in
this case, https://osm.mathmos.net/addresses/pc-stats/HD/HD8/8 which they
have fallen foul of — or something else?

Even in villages with established streets and house numbers, there will be
outlying properties where the street names will be foregone: S36 7GG is an
example of this.

Additionally, it's not clear whether name or addr:housename (or both)
should be used when mapping anything from a a detached house to a building
split into multiple addressable units (eg terraces, flats).

Regards,
*Paul*